02 October 2009

Set The Record Straight

A small lesson on Smoking:
So what if some one smokes. Second hand smoking is not nearly as effective as the adds say. i mean the numbers show that most people do not get affected by smoking. It's fine if the government wants to ban smoking in public areas, like airports, or public schools, etc. But where i get mad, is when the government tells me that i can't have smoking, in MY bowling alley, in MY restaurant. That i can't have smoking in the privacy of my own privately owned home.

The government has no right to invade and set laws that affect my private property rights. If I own a bowling alley or a movie theater, I have the right to let people smoke or not. The Fed should stay out. They have no say on what goes on in my house. People don't have to come in to my bar, people don't have to come to my house, people don't have to sit in my car while I smoke, i don't but if i did.

The fed needs to stay out and let the market decide. Let the market dictate and take care of smoking. If a place offers smoking and people don't go because of that it will close or change it's laws. Then other places will learn and do the same. Then you get rid of smoking without having the fed come in and ruin everything.

I use to live in Columbus, OH, and the city implemented a no smoking law that no place that served food, could allow smoking, which is fine, people would abide by it, but soon bowling alleys lost money, and people came less. many bowling alleys went under because people didn't come. Well a little late some bowling places figured out, it was because the bowling crowed, smoked. So they stopped serving food. and then attendance rose again. But it was too little too late for some.

And that my friends, students and readers, members of congress etc. is how the market force works. unfortunately government officials have not yet figured out this rather straight forward logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment